Sunday, March 30, 2014

I'm A Little Scared Of The Birds And Lizards Around Here....




The week before last, when I decided to get some sun for the first time this year, I was a little concerned about the slithering creatures that live in our backyard. I solved my dilemma by making sure I was high up off the ground.

This is why I'm on our outdoor table.

I was on top of the table, the lizards were on the bottom. Where they should be! You can even see one of those little bastards under the chair to the left of me.

I was feeling pretty smug until I had this eerie feeling that I was being watched. Then I heard shuffling little sounds of something walking across the grass, very near the table.

I looked up and there was an enormous white bird staring at me, like maybe it was wondering if I was alive and if I wasn't then maybe I was going to be dinner. Or maybe it just wanted that little creepy lizard that was hanging out under the table.

I'm not sure, but when I sat up nervously, grabbed my phone and started taking Instagram pictures of him, he realized I was not dead and the lizard wasn't worth the trouble either.

After walking back and forth checking out the scene, he flew off.

I think I saw him again today flying circles around our house. This makes me nervous.

The birds around here think they own the place. Your yard is not your yard, your house is not your house, nothing is yours, it all belongs to them. And they travel in packs. Hungry packs!

The other day when I was coming home from the vet with Phantom, a large white bird took off from the median in the road and flew right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes so it wouldn't hit the windshield, but I wasn't fast enough and it hit right above the windshield. I don't know exactly what happened to the low flyer, but as I was driving forward (there was lots of traffic after all) I saw a bunch of white feathers out of my back window.

This was on Thursday and that next Sunday (last week) we were suppose to fly to Minnesota for franchise training for the new gym we are opening. Phantom spent the weekend, crying, nauseous and by Sunday he wasn't eating on his own anymore. Since we were suppose to be gone all week I wasn't going to be able to get him in to the holistic vet for acupuncture and get started on Chinese herbs and I was concerned about why he was crying. The nausea medication wasn't working.

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs are our last efforts to fight the tumor that's taking over most of his liver.

The pet sitter was going to be coming twice a day, but with Phantom not eating and crying, I was not looking forward to leaving him.

When we got to the airport Sunday evening we find out that our flight was canceled because, guess why....

A BIRD had struck the plane and damaged the engine. Since we were going to miss part of Monday's class anyway, we decided to stay and reschedule our training trip.

This allowed me to take Phantom to his local vet on Monday and get him checked him out. We were concerned he may have a urinary blockage. Luckily, no blockage, but he was constipated and so they put on stool softeners. I, also, got him in for his first acupuncture treatment on Wednesday. He did great, but it was a rough day for him when he started on the Chinese herbs.

A couple of days later and he's eating, drinking and back to normal. He's even become super alpha cat again so Cadence and Ed are taking cover.

It if wasn't for the bird strike, I wouldn't have been here to get Phantom started on his new cancer fighting protocol. Was it a total coincidence that I hit a bird with my car and then our flight is canceled because of bird? Am I just being paranoid? Is there some meaning behind all of this? Or not?

And the bigger question - Is that big white bird that landed in our yard friends with the bird I hit, and if so, does he know what I did to his friend and is he pissed off?

4 comments:

  1. That bird is terrifying - I think they are little dinosaurs. You need to keep one eye open at all times. For the birds and lizards as well as the neighbors. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the neighbors. They are all about 90 years old and mean as a pack of rattlesnakes! (I'm exaggerating a little)

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking…Hitchcock film..."The Birds".

    ReplyDelete