Friday, April 5, 2013

Been There Done That



Today I finally pulled my triathlon bike out, dusted it off, oiled the chain and changed the wheels to get it ready to ride.

This weekend?

Maybe!

I haven't been on the bike since the Alabama Coastal triathlon (Here) last September so it still had the racing wheels on it. I changed them out and aired them up and now the poor neglected bike is ready to ride.

Since September I've been either on the exercise bike at the gym or on my bike trainer at home. I don't like riding outside in weather under 75 degrees F, or in the rain, or on bad air days so I don't mind the indoor training at all. In the past when I was a little more obsessive about training I rode in the rain, in the freezing cold, in the dark at 5a.m. and in the dark at 7p.m and on days when air was so bad I coughed for days afterwards.

I don't do that anymore. Been there, done that!

I will say, however, that for the first time since training for Ironman Canada 2010 that I'm actually motivated and excited about getting back out on the roads. With all this indoor training I've been doing for two years, I am fully caught up on reading my stack of People magazines, I've seen an embarrassing number of episodes of Hoarders and Toddlers and Tiaras and I know more about Kim and Kourtney's taking of Miami than any normal person should.



It's time to take it outside before I lose my tentative grip on reality.

And I love to bike! Really, I do! I just don't love the traffic or the distracted drivers or the lack of adequate bike trails/lanes in this city. There's some folks around here that just don't like cyclists taking up space on their roads not one bit and they're not afraid to let you know it.

And I'm not just talking about my brother.

I use to ride with the bike club, now the triathlon club every Tuesday night during the spring and summer. I rarely missed a Tuesday night ride ever and if I did I felt bad. Nowadays, I rarely make it to a Tuesday night ride and I never regret it. Last year I did make it to a couple of Wednesday night rides at Oak Mountain State Park with a group of cyclists that's a little less competitive than the Tuesday night group and really enjoyed the more laid back ride.

When I showed up for the first ride, someone asked me where I'd been riding because I guess nobody had seen me out riding in awhile. I didn't no how to answer because there was where I had been riding. It was my first ride since Santa Rosa Triathlon (Here) seven months earlier and the only reason I was out riding that evening was because I had signed up to do a race that weekend and I wanted to make sure I could still ride without training wheels.

That was last year. This year it's going to different. This year I'm riding my bike and not just during races. I don't know when I'll add swim training to my schedule, but I am biking. There was a time back in the day when I actually got up and was at the Y as soon as they opened so I could swim a mile before work. For extra motivation to make sure I got up to swim, I would sleep in my swim suit. When 4:30 am rolled around, I woke up ready to go.

I don't know who that person was but I can almost promise I will NEVER do that again. Been there done that! And it was insane!!

I'll swim once or twice before the races I do this summer to make sure I still can. In the meantime, I'll do "dry land" training and no sleeping in swim suits!

2 comments:

  1. Cycling is a tough sport. My 13 year old was deep into competition, then witnessed a horrible accident at a race on Pensacola Beach. After that, he backed way off his involvement. Be careful out there!

    And I like your bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cycling can be very dangerous. Especially now that everyone has cell phones and a thousand other distractions. After seeing three people hit by a hit and run driver, I backed way off too. That's why I do most of my biking indoors nowadays. Just isn't the same though.

      Delete