Friday, October 12, 2012

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Art Deco Flapper/Slave Bracelet designed by



It is traditional in a wedding for the bride to wear something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.  I'm not saying that I didn't think about what I could wear in each of those categories, but I will say it wasn't my top priority.  This wasn't my first wedding and since I did follow all the traditions in my first wedding and well, see where that got me, I was a little skeptical and not at all concerned that I was in my wedding gown about to leave the bridal suite for pictures and didn't have anything blue or borrowed.



My something new and something old was easy to find.  For one thing, my dresses were new as was my shoes, necklace and earring.  For the something old,  I found an Art Deco Flapper/Slave bracelet on Etsy designed by Rose Of The Mire.  It is made with antique crystals making it my "something old", but also my "something new" as well since parts of the bracelet are new intermixed with old.  I loved that!    I also loved that it was one of a kind and there are no others like it.  The minute I saw it I knew I had to have it.

We had a jazz band playing during the cocktail hour of the reception.  I wanted something jazzy to wear during the wedding, but didn't want to wear a flapper style headpiece in all the pictures.  The flapper bracelet was a perfect compromise.


My Matron of Honor, the former Running Nazi (that's another post!), was concerned that I had nothing borrowed or blue so she took the opal and diamond ring she was wearing off her finger and handed to me.  I knew it would be useless to argue with her that it wasn't necessary, but tradition is tradition and I have to admit I was more than a little relieved to have something blue and borrowed on me.  No need to tempt the fates!




The opal ring that her father had given her before he died was beautiful!  I slid it on the hand with the antique bracelet and I have to say, it was perfect.  I had something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue all on my right hand.  On my left was my engagement ring with one of the bands we had purchased.  The Murph slid the other band on top in the exchange of rings part of the ceremony.  Now my engagement ring is flanked by two bands designed specifically for my ring, engraving and everything.  Perfect match!


Here is me wearing the antique flapper/slave bracelet and opal ring during the ceremony.


I am hoping to get some clearer shots of the bracelet in the professional photos.  It is definitely a statement piece that stands out.

Art Deco Flapper Bracelet/ Slave Bracelet
designed by Rose of the Mire

Not to mention GORGEOUS! 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That IS gorgeous. And very you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to add a twist to the old tradition. And opal is also the birthstone for October. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of opal being the October birthstone. I love it even more!!

      Delete
  3. I freaking love that bracelet! And congrats!

    ReplyDelete