Monday, May 7, 2012

Runner's Ailments

Yesterday I met the Running Nazi at 6:30 a.m. to do a long run.  We had planned on running 13 miles which usually ends up being almost 15 miles, but  I knew she was sick when she stepped out of her car.  She had that glazed over, feverish kind of look and her voice was raspy when she tried to talk.

The bottle of chloraseptic spray in her hand was another dead give away.  She took one good spray down her throat before she put it back in her car and we set off for our run.

She admitted that her husband tried to talk her into staying home that morning and canceling on me.  She knew I would totally understand.  It's not like I've never canceled on her at the last minute before.  That's what friends are for.  I'm very understanding.

She said she hadn't run much this past week so she really needed to get in a long run.  I understood.  I'm the same way.  I told her we didn't have to run 13 miles.  As long as I get in 10 to 13 miles I'm happy right now.  I haven't signed up for a marathon yet and it might be Fall before I do another one.  This summer I might only stick with sprint tris. 

The RN must have been really sick because we ended up running only 11 miles.  I told her she needed to go home and take some advil, eat some chicken soup and spend the rest of the day in bed.  I don't know what she ended up doing, but I do hope she got some rest.

We ran for 2 hours and during that time we shared our many ailments.  I'm pretty good at self diagnosis, but the RN has me stumped.  Either she has several things going on at one time or it's a really mysterious, big something that she has.

 I couldn't even come close to a diagnosis which is really surprising.  After all,  I have a Fashion Merchandising degree, a Real Estate license and have been a mom for almost 20 years.  You'd think I could come up with something.

Although the kidney stone totally had me stumped.  I was thinking more on the lines of gall bladder.  The symptoms seemed similar to mine when I had gall bladder trouble after my first Ironman.  Who knew??  We both drink more fluids now during our runs.

I told her to see a real doctor and get some strong antibiotics and maybe some steroids.  That always works for me when I am sick and then my asthma acts up.

Of course, she doesn't have asthma so I don't know if the doctor would give her a round of steroids.  Don't know what else steroids are prescribed for, but I do know they calm the immune system down.

She does need something stronger than chloraseptic spray.  Hope she got some rest yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. You know what I'm going to say...It's very unwise to stress the body like that when it's compromised from an illness. Those reserves need to go towards healing. The run probably set her back several days.
    As my wise health and wellness expert friend K always says: "Listen to your body."
    I hope she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her body is so use to lots of running mileage so it probably didn't hurt her too much as long as she rests afterwards and cuts back on mileage for the rest of the week. I need to call her to see how she is doing. We are running this weekend.

      Delete