Monday, September 26, 2011

Triathlon Training

I had a great workout Sunday morning in preparation for the sprint triathlon coming up this Saturday.  I rode 20 miles on my bike as hard as I could and then got off and ran a mile and half.  It was hot and tough! My legs were still a little sore from Saturday's lower body weight workout and a 4 1/2 mile interval run on the treadmill. I need to increase my bike average to at least 2mph for the race.  It's going to be tough.

Today I did weights (upper body only), then ran a mile on the treadmill as hard as I could and then I got in the pool and did some fast 50's and a timed 600 for a total 30 minute workout.  My 600 was slower than what I wanted.  It was about 15 minutes instead of 12 minutes, but what can I expect when I haven't been swimming much since last summer.

I haven't done a long run in almost two weeks so I will probably wait until after the triathlon Saturday to do a 13 mile run.  I'm not doing a run longer than 8 miles this week.

I feel like I am ready for the race this weekend, but don't know if I will improve my speed much more than what I did in 2009, which was the last time I did the race.  It is a 600 yd swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run.  My time to beat is 1 hr 37 minutes.  I am hoping to get in under 1 hr 30 minutes.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment